Trails Program: Jade Robinson and Lidia Montoya completed the Trail Program. Jade is a recent Bowman grad and Lidia, is a former Bulldog that just graduated from WRHS.
Soaring temps and challenging project goals kept things lively and my focus on crew safety for both weeks of WS Hart's 2017 Summer Trails Program. An official Crew of 23 including myself, 19 amazing kids, and two pretty awesome assistant Trail Bosses, successfully completed this year' s offering despite the blistering temps and 6 am rally change up needed to beat the heat during the weeks of 6/12 and 6/19.
Final tallies for agency reporting purposes:
Quigley Canyon Open Space (City of Santa Clarita)
- 1.0 mile of equestrian trails, brushed, cleared, and restored. (Rawlins / City / Bullet Hole Trails)
- 100 dedicated crew hours
Gabrielino National Recreation Trail (USFS)
- 2.5 miles of tread restoration and heavy brushing westbound from Red Box
- .85 miles of tread restoration and heavy brushing eastbound from Red Box
- 1 snag removed. This proved to be a pretty technical removal with two 30' oaks intertwined and suspended 20' above the trail. The whole shebang was tension loaded and held up by two spring poles.
- 900 dedicated crew hours.
Newhall Open Space / Elsmere Canyon (MRCA / City of Santa Clarita)
- 500 yards of new trail installed brushed / cut / scraped - Cabin Trail (Newhall Open Space)
- 1/4 mile of tread brushed / scraped - Elsmere Canyon
- 154 dedicated crew hours
Really great group of kids again this year! Thank you all for your continued support and fantastic referrals! Pics uploaded to a common drive for sharing and Download - CLICK HERE! Lots more at www.facebook.com/roptrails
By Kevin Sarkissian